Refactor build script

Discuss about this PR here, because not everybody wants to go to GitLab to see exactly what we’re doing.

@Kelteseth The check part in the CI file, does it need to exactly use Windows, or we can use Linux instead? (because Linux container is much faster than Windows VM in CI)

Good idea we should use linux for this should be faster!

Yes, like how Linux built ScreenPlay for 16 minutes 45 seconds while it isn’t finished on Windows yet (It stuck at bootstrap-vcpkg.bat on GitLab, can you check that out?)

weird… will do not my vm but gitlabs :slight_smile:

1 Like

@tretrauit you can refactor it to use arch or alpine. But we should still use aqt so we can install spesific qt versions

Well that was before I knew the Ubuntu container works, but well Ubuntu is more stable than Arch Linux (arch is rolling release) and not as minimal as Alpine (alpine uses musl) so keep ubuntu as it is

Also is it possible to use system included vcpkg, and fallback to our one if not found? Because some Linux system like Arch Linux provides vcpkg system-wide

hey not related here but it’d be cool if you can add a feature to quote message and reply to that

@Kelteseth The check part in the CI file, does it need to exactly use Windows, or we can use Linux instead? (because Linux container is much faster than Windows VM in CI)

The commit 7cdb25045d20e1a419c845742712d8562b8bc8e6 and after that changed from Windows to Ubuntu in check part, and it’s working I guess? (not that commit but the commit after that, because I forgot we have to use -y to accept in apt-get)

Btw, how do you add a url that point to latest artifact for a specific branch? I found the one in readme is for rmaster branch but i want to change it to the refactor-build-script branch (for linux ci)

AFAIK you cannot do that @tretrauit

You can simply select my text and then there is an option to quote

@tretrauit I’m investigation why the build script is stuck on windows. We can also remove the download_ffmpeg.bat with the python version while we’re at it.

yeah, but i think that isn’t the case since it stuck at bootstrap-vcpkg.bat (and the ffmpeg downloaded successfully)

where’s the option to quote i can’t see it

https://imgur.com/a/OcrVr8a

1 Like

So Qt still has issues when creating an installer when the sum of file sizes is bigger than X00mb (maybe 300mb?). It has a workaround when calling binarycreator.exe directly but not when using it via cmake/cpack like we do.

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTIFW-2354?focusedCommentId=638735&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-638735

So apparently cmake contains a flag CPack IFW Generator — CMake 3.22.20220101-gd8fc870 Documentation but only in the next release

It seems that CQtDeployer create DistributionKit folder which contain a complete ScreenPlay build (with dependencies), but the artifact is having both ScreenPlay (that uses system dependencies) and the DistributionKit folder…