Cannot set wallpaper (No videoCodec was specified inside the json object!)

Screenplay was working totally fine, but after I set a picture from Windows settings as wallpaper, I cannot set any wallpaper from Screenplay. Here’s the repeating error which is shown for every installed wallpaper (also I did mess up with the json files before so let me know if I should change the videoCodec value which is vp8 in some and vp9 in others (doesnt work if I change it to either)):

DEBUG CLEARED ###### Warning:  Sat Sep 2 17:10:50 2023   No videoCodec was specified inside the json object!

Warning:  Sat Sep 2 17:10:50 2023   Eyeball to VP8 because of .webm

Warning:  Sat Sep 2 17:10:50 2023   No videoCodec was specified inside the json object!

Warning:  Sat Sep 2 17:10:50 2023   Eyeball to h264 because of .mp4

Warning:  Sat Sep 2 17:10:50 2023   No videoCodec was specified inside the json object!

Info:  Sat Sep 2 17:14:03 2023   ### Message from: “3zAMh2V5FEvdHYEkVV1gtSA8MbEXkNNk” : ""VideoWallpaper" "Contain" 1 "D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/workshop/content/672870/3001227635" "??? ??? ??? ??? ???.webm"\nFile: , \nin line 0, "

Warning:  Sat Sep 2 17:15:02 2023   qrc:/qml/ScreenPlayApp/qml/Settings/Settings.qml:402:29: QML QQuickImage: Error transferring https://assets.gitlab-static.net/uploads/-/system/user/avatar/64172/avatar.png - server replied:

Hi, thanks for reaching out. I’m currently away for the weekend so you will have to wait until tomorrow until I can help you properly. You are using the latest ScreenPlay version from steam and did try rebooting?

No problem, take your time, and yes I updated Screenplay an hour ago and restarted my laptop, the same issue arises again.

Can you give me some info s like

• cpu and GPU
  • are the drivers up to date for both integrated and dedication GPU (if you have a dedicated GPU)
  • what windows version
  • what wallpaper
  • CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i3-1005G1 CPU @ 1.20GHz

• GPU (Integrated): Intel(R) UHD Graphics [Driver version: 30.0.101.2079, Driver date: 26-5-22, DirectX version: 12 (FL 12.1)]

• Updated the drivers for integrated GPU (no dedicated GPU) and also the windows update, and now there are these additional error message at the end:

Warning:  Sun Sep 3 00:30:25 2023   qrc:/qml/ScreenPlayApp/qml/Monitors/DefaultVideoControls.qml:30: TypeError: Cannot read property ‘volume’ of null

Info:  Sun Sep 3 00:30:29 2023   ### Message from: “dayzc6Tq9DFQdqlU0ogyKkgiIQMROtV8” : ""Setup window activeScreen: 0 scaling: 1.25 x: -1 y: -1 width: 1538 height: 866"\nFile: , \nin line 0, Setup 1536 864\nFile: , \nin line 0, "

Info:  Sun Sep 3 00:30:29 2023   ### Message from: “dayzc6Tq9DFQdqlU0ogyKkgiIQMROtV8” : "qrc:/qml/ScreenPlayWallpaper/qml/Wallpaper.qml:106: ReferenceError: desktopProperties is not defined\nFile: qrc:/qml/Scre
enPlayWallpaper/qml/Wallpaper.qml, \nin line 106, "

• Windows version details:

Edition: Windows 11 Home Single Language
Version: 22H2
Installed on: ‎14-‎10-‎22
OS build: 22621.2215
Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22662.1000.0

• All wallpapers I have downloaded from Steam Workshop and also one video wallpaper I made from my own source, none of them can be set as wallpapers and give similar error messages. I can only set wallpapers from windows settings with no problem for now.

Thanks for the detailed report. I will investigate if I can manage to recreate the issues :slight_smile:

@BruhOP5 thank you for reporting, I have managed to replicate the issue. Looks like one single code path (when setting the Windows background to tiled) resulted in a runtime programming error. I will push a fix and a new version ASAP. Thanks again :blush::tada:

See Fix Wallpaper not shown if using tiled background (e2790b9f) · Commits · Elias Steurer / ScreenPlay · GitLab

@BruhOP5 It should be live on the Steam internal branch. Can you check if it works for you? Frequently Asked Questions - ScreenPlay Docs

Thanks a lot, I updated but didn’t work I restarted my laptop, used the ‘Close All Content’ buttons and set a random wallpaper 3-4 times, and now it works alright + I can now run community wallpapers which I couldn’t previously. One little line can do a lot ig XD.

Just found a similar bug, Screenplay can’t set wallpaper for the first time (no wallpaper is set before changing Windows setting) if Windows background setting is center, but works for every other (Fill, Fit, Stretch, Tile, Span)

Huh sounds like another bug in the wallpaper transition logic. So how this works is that SP reads your current wallpaper and displays it to make a smooth transition. The problem is that how Windows displays the wallpaper with different modes and different monitor sizes and scaling is quite complicated so this could be another edge case. Will investigate after work, thanks for the port :slight_smile:

1 Like